Do you know what happened in the mountains this week? Here’s a selection of backcountry news, articles, posts, videos, photos, and other cool things that we think you’d like to know about. Enjoy!
- SNOTEL Data: The Current Western US Snowpack – June 15, 2017 – Mountain Journey – Amazing to see this much snow in June!
- Outdoor Research Presents Where The Wild Things Play – Mountain Journey – This cool tribute to outdoorsy women is worth watching.
- Madman Films Presents Mountain – Official Trailer – Mountain Journey – This is the coolest trailer we’ve seen in a long time.
- Skier Survives Close Encounter With Insanely Deep Crevasse On Mt Baker – UnofficialNetworks.com – Scary situation on Baker.
- Bear Joins Race Through Garden Of The Gods – KDVR.com – This will make you smile.
- Ski Mountaineer Suffers Fatal Fall On Mont Blanc After Losing Ski – MountainJourney.com – Sad news from Mont Blanc…
- Heavenly Resort Ski Pass Thieves Plea Guilty To Embezzling 1,100 Vouchers Worth $38,000 – UnofficialNetworks.com – Don’t steal things. You’ll get caught.
- Jogger Drowns Rabid Raccoon In Puddle With Bare Hands Near Hope, Maine – MountainJourney.com – When animals attack, you do what you have to do.
- A Historic Adventure: Snoqualmie Pass To Canada In 34 Days – On Skis – SeattleTimes.com – Trevor Kostanich and Forest McBrian just completed one heck of a cool ski mission!
- The Best Mountain Towns To Catch This Summer’s Historic Solar Eclipse [NASA] – UnofficialNetworks.com – This only happens once in a lifetime. Enjoy it.
- This Vermont Ski Resort Is On Sale For Just $950,000 – Transworld.com – Who wants to buy their own ski area? It’s less than a million bucks!
- Crews Working To Clear Miles Of Snow Before Marathon In Leadville – KDVR.com – Take a look at this post. That’s a lot of snow!
- Done Deal – Park City Says $1.5 Million Pledge From Salt Lake County Will Preserve Bonanza Flat – SLTrib.com – Win!
- Naomi Prohaska Becomes Youngest Person To Climb Canada’s Highest Peak – MountainJourney.com – A 15-year-old just climbed 5,959 meter Mount Logan!
- Trio Fined For Skiing In Closed Winter Permit Area In Glacier National Park – TheGoldenStar.net – Permits on Rogers exist for a reason…
- Earthquake And Aftershocks Rattle West Yellowstone Area – KTVQ.com – The USGS reported a 4.5 magnitude earthquake NW of Yellowstone National Park.
- Photos Taken At Hanging Lake By Brazilian Sports Brand Spark Social Media Outrage – DenverPost.com – Liquido Active broke the rules. Not cool.
- N.C. Man Severely Burned After Falling Into Hot Spring At Yellowstone – USAToday.com – Careful around the Geysers in YNP. They are hot!
- Freeze-Dried Hash With 3-Decade Shelf Life Recalled For Rubber – FoodSafetyNews.com – Mountain House’s Spicy Southwest Breakfast Hash just got recalled. Don’t eat it!
- Iconic Rabbit Ears Peak Goes Floppy After Losing A Big Chunk Of An Ear – SteamboatToday.com – Rabbit Ears Peak in Colorado will never be the same…
- American Climbers Confirm the Hillary Step Is Gone – OutsideOnline.com – It’s gone and now it’s easier to climb Everest.
- Interior Secretary Recommends Gutting Bear Ears, Patagonia Responds – TetonGravity.com – Ugh. Zinke, really?
- Watch: Bear Gets Swept Over Waterfall in Yosemite – Backpacker.com – Amazing footage from Yosemite!
- Rockfall Blocks Entrance Road To Yosemite National Park (Will Reopen On Sunday) – MountainJourney.com – Rockfall blocked Highway 140 in Yosemite on Monday.
- Kayak Guide Dies In Yellowstone Lake During Rescue Attempt – MountainJourney.com – Sad news from Yellowstone…
Did we miss any backcountry news? Tell us in the comments below. Have an awesome week!
Happy Father’s Day! If you need a last minute/late gift visit Backcountry.com.