Do you know what happened in the mountains this week? Here’s a selection of backcountry news, articles, posts, videos, photos, and other cool things that we think you’d like to know about. Enjoy!
- Mountaineer Killed in Avalanche On Monte Viso In Italy – A Mountain Journey – A 21-year-old climber died in an avalanche while climbing the Coolidge Couloir on Monte Viso in the Italian Alps.
- 177 Global Avalanche Fatalities During Winter Of 2015/2016 – A Mountain Journey – Here is a look at 177 avalanche fatalities that occurred worldwide in 2015/2016.
- 2 Climbers Die On Way Down Everest – USAToday – After nearly 400 ascents of the Everest this month, one Dutch and one Australian climber died while descending.
- Teen Becomes Youngest Australia To Climb Everest – TheGuardian.com – Alyssa Azar, 19, is now the youngest Aussie to summit Everest. Congrats!
- 99 Percent Chance 2016 Will Be the Hottest Year on Record – Scientific America – This is scary. Climate change is real.
- Remote Avalanche Control System Keeps Berthoud Pass Open All Winter – DenverPost.com – C-Dot installed Gazex on Berthoud Pass for avalanche control work this winter and it worked great!
- Mount St. Helens Tremors Bring Renewed Focus to Volcano Danger in PNW – EDMDigest.com – The USGS reports over 100 small earthquakes under Mount St. Helens since mid-March. What does this mean?
- Missing North Carolina Hiker Found Alive, Tied To Tree – AL.com – Well this is interesting and a bit scary. A 64-year-old woman went missing and was found tied to a tree along NC’s Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Watch: Dude Skis Right Up To Bear Cubs In Georgia – Unofficial Networks – Wow. This is probably not something that you should do.
- Baby Bison Euthanized After ‘Misguided’ Rescue Attempt – CNN.com – Sad news, but the baby bison that was put in a car in Yellowstone was killed by the Park Service after they were unsuccessful at reuniting the calf with the herd.
- Indian Mountaineer Rajib Bhattacharya Dies In Mt. Dhaulagiri – The American Bazaar – Sad news from Nepal.
- 2Point5Mil: One Million Done – Backcountry Magazine – Aaron Rice is shooting for 2.5 million human powered vertical feet of skiing this year. He tagged one million this month.
- Warrants Issued For Grand Prismatic Trespassers – Unofficial Networks – The High On Life Sunday Fundayz crew is under fire after trespassing on Yellowstone’s Grand Prismatic Spring.
- Speedskier Accidentally Starts A Monster Avalanche – Garage.com.au – Watch this video of a speedskier triggering an avalanche. Whoa.
- Why Are Ski Towns Seeing More Suicides? – National Geographic – Can you relate to this? Sad, yet true.
- 53.9 Million Skiers In The U.S. Hit The Slopes This Season – Unofficial Networks – That’s a lot of skiers. Anyone know how many skiers accessed the backcountry this year?
- Mountain Biking Trails Booby-Trapped With Nails In Colorado – GrindTV.com – Well this is messed up.
- VIDEO: 109MPH Winds Literally Blow Man Away at Mt. Washington, NH Yesterday – SnowBrains.com – It was a little windy in New Hampshire this week.
Did we miss any backcountry news? Tell us in the comments below. Have an awesome week!